Who are not Ahl alDhimma?
… those who are idol worshippers (dis: o9.9 (n:)), or those who do not have a Sacred Book or something that could have been a Book. [Reliance of the Traveller, O11.2, pg 607]
… As for the pseudo-scriptures of cults that have appeared since Islam (n: such as the Sikhs, Baha’ is, Mormons, Qadianis, etc.), they neither are nor could be a Book, since the Koran is the final revelation (dis: w4).) [Reliance of the Traveller, O11.2, pg 607]
So idol-worshippers and any cults after the advent of Islam can not be part of the agreement that makes non-muslims a second-class citizen.
What things can be regulated by the agreement?
… follow the rules of Islam (A: those mentioned below (o11.5) and those involving public behavior and dress, though in acts of worship and their private lives, the subject communities have their own laws, judges, and courts, enforcing the rules of their own religion among themselves); (b) and pay the non-Muslim poll tax (jizya) [Reliance of the Traveller, O11.3, pg 607]
… (2) are distinguished from Muslims in dress, wearing a wide cloth belt (zunnar); [Reliance of the Traveller, O.11.5, pg 608]
(4) must keep to the side of the street;
(5) may not build higher than or as high as the Muslims’ buildings, though if they acquire a tall house, it is not razed;
(6) are forbidden to openly display wine or pork, (A: to ring church bells or display crosses,) recite the Torah or Evangel aloud, or make public display of their funerals and feastdays;
(7) and are forbidden to build new churches. [Reliance of the Traveller, O11.5, pg 608]
Basically all the individual liberty is taken from ahl alDhimma. But Wait there is more
They are forbidden to reside in the Hijaz, meaning the area and towns around Mecca, Medina, and Yamama, for more than three days when the caliph allows them to enter there for something they need). [Reliance of the Traveller, O11.6, pg 608]
A non-Muslim may not enter the Meccan Sacred Precinct (Haram) under any circumstances [Reliance of the Traveller, O11.7, pg 608-9]
What breaks this horrible agreement?
(1) commits adultery with a Muslim woman or marries her;
(2) conceals spies of hostile forces;
(3) leads a Muslim away from Islam;
(4) kills a Muslim;
(5) or mentions something impermissible about Allah, the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), or Islam. [Reliance of the Traveller, O11.10, pg 609]
How much is Jizya?
The minimum non-Muslim poll tax is one dinar (n: 4.235 grams of gold) per person (A: per year). The maximum is whatever both sides agree upon. [Reliance of the Traveller, O11.4, pg 608]
I am pretty sure that the Caliph (i.e. Muslim tyrant whose every decision is equal to the Word of God, oops, I mean Allah) does the dealing with the non-Muslim with a very kind heart after massacre and destruction.
I should start calling this blog the instant depression reader.